Online Inventor Resource Center: Links, addresses and Phone numbers.
PRODUCT PROTECTION, DEVELOPMENT, FINANCING & MARKETING
- ACIL. Members are third-party commercial engineering & scientific testing laboratories offering analytical testing, R&D, & consulting services to industry, commerce, & government. Referral service of laboratories to do independent testing of new products. 1629 K Street NW, Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20006, Tel: 202-877-5872, Fax: 202-887-0021; E-Mail: email@example.com, Web Site: www.acil.org
American Society of Association Executives. For connection to a particular trade association - 1575 1st St. NW, Washington DC 20005-1168, Tel: 202-626-2723, Fax: 202-371-8825, Web Site: www.asaenet.org
Better Business Bureau of MN. To inquire about companies, file complaints, and report misleading advertising and/or selling. 1-800-832-6428, Web Site: www.bbb.com
Federal Trade Commission. In case of exploitation of inventors, contact the FTC. Correspondence Branch, FTC, Washington, DC 20580, Web Site: www.ftc.gov
The James Jerome Hill Reference Library. A privately supported, non-profit business and economics library emphasizing information for small businesses. 80 West 4th Street, St. Paul, MN 55102, Tel: 651-227-9531, Fax: 651-222-4139, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Web Site: www.jjhill.org
- Minnesota Attorney General. In case of exploitation of inventors, contact - Consumer Division Complaints, 651-296-3353, Web Site: www.state.mn.us Minnesota Initiative Fund. Revolving loans for business start-up or expansion: Northwest MN. Foundation Bemidji 218-759-2057, or 1-800-659-7859, Northland Foundation Duluth 218-723-4040, West Central Initiative Fergus Falls 218-739-2239, Southwest MN Foundation Hutchinson 320-587-4848, or 1-800-594-9480, Initiative Foundation Little Falls 320-632-9255, Southern MN Initiative Foundation Owatonna 507-455-3215.
- Minnesota Small Business Assistance Office. Provides information and assistance to Minnesota businesses in areas of start-up, operation, or expansion. Emphasis is placed on business planning and regulatory assistance. 500 Metro Square Building, 121 7th Place E., St. Paul, MN 55101-2146, Tel: 651-282-2103, or 1-800-652-3858, Web Site: www.sba.gov J. Minnesota Small Business Development Centers. SBDC’s provide counseling & training at no charge to small business owners and prospective small business owners in areas like business planning, financial analysis, marketing assistance, and technology transfer. State Office, 500 Metro Square Building, 121 7th Place E., St. Paul, MN 55101-2146, Tel: 651-297-5770, or 1-800-657-3858, Fax: 651-296-1290, Web Information: www.mnsbao.com
- Minnesota Technology and it’s Minnesota Manufacturing Technology Center. Technical assistance to manufacturers for the development of modern techniques to improve ability to compete in the marketplace. State Office, 400 Mill Place, 111 3rd Avenue S., Minneapolis, MN 55401, Tel: 1-800-325-3073 for contact information on area offices, Fax: 612-339-5214
- Regional Development Commission. Determine appropriate public financing, prepare business plans and loan packages for business and industry. Appleton 320-289-1981, or 1-800-752-1983, Bemidji 218-444-4732, Duluth 218-722-5545, or 1-800-232-0707, Mankato 507-387-5643, or 1-800-450-5643, Mora 320-679-4065, Slayton 507-836-8547, Staples 218-894-3233, Warren 218-745-6733, Willmar 320-235-8504, or 1-800-450-8608
- SCORE Counselors to America's Small Business, Business process and patent assistance. SCORE District Office, SBA, 210-C Butler Square Bldg., 100 North Sixth St., Minneapolis, MN 55403, Tel: 612-370-2324 to get information about a SCORE Office in your local area, or call the National SCORE Office in Washington, DC, 1-800-634-0245, Web Site: www.score.org
- U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. Consumers "Hotline" to obtain safety information, learn about recalled products, report hazardous products and product related injury or death. 4330 East-West Highway, Bethesda, MD, 1-800-638-2772, Web Site: www.cpsc.gov
- U.S. Small Business Administration. Business planning, development financing and procurement assistance. 210-C Butler Square, 100 North 6th St., Minneapolis, MN 55403, 612-370-2324.
- Minnesota INVENTORS CLUBS MONTHLY MEETINGS: Inventors’ Network, www.inventorsnetwork.org Society of Minnesota Inventors, 763-753-2766.
- MANUFACTURERS: Minnesota Directory of Manufacturers, Thomas Register of American Manufacturers (www.thomasregister.com) and Standard & Poor's Register (www.standardandpoors.com) are all available at library systems.
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY PROTECTION:
- General intellectual property protection information Helpful patent application information including current fee structure for: Patent: Search, Application, Copyrights: Application, Trademarks: Application, government fees. www.uspto.gov
- Copyright Office, Library of Congress, 101 Independence Ave. SE, Washington, D.C. 20559, Tel: 202-707-5000, Web Site: www.lcweb.loc.gov/copyright
- Minnesota Intellectual Property Law Association. Report dissatisfaction in regard to a patent attorney, call message center, 612-729-3680.
- Patent Attorney Referral Service, Minnesota State Bar Association, 514 Nicollet Ave., Ste. 300, Minneapolis, MN 55402, 1-800-292-4152, Hennepin County 612-339-8777, Ramsey County 651-224-1775, Dakota County 612-431-3200, Washington County 651-777-6878.
- Patent Depository Library. Business/Science/Government Documents, Minneapolis Central Library, 300 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis, MN 55401(612) 630-6101, monthly sessions held.
- U.S. Department of Commerce, Patent & Trademark Office, Washington, D.C. 20231, Tel: 1-800-786-9199, Web Site: www.uspto.gov ONE YEAR DISCLOSURE LAW: Should a U.S. patent be desired, the invention must be the subject of a patent application within one year of the disclosure of the invention to the public or your right to a valid patent will be lost. If a U.S. application is not filed prior to disclosure, many foreign patent rights are lost. The information provided within is from sources we believe to be reliable. The MIC recommends that each person choosing to use such information must verify it with the appropriate professionals before relying upon these resources. The MIC makes it our policy not to endorse any particular resource or service and provides this information as a courtesy.